Monday, March 23, 2015

3/23/15

Hey  LD,

Daddy and I have been watching an excellent show called House of Cards. The new season is highly political and we are loving it. Neither of us are experts in politics, nor do we know minute details about the policies of today's senate floor or what congress is stalled over. Frankly, they all seem to be the same stories... politicians who cover for themselves, time and time again.

I am so very hopeful that Hillary Clinton will run for president next year. I don't yet know her stance or policies. But the way I vote these days has more to do with the symbol of what I want our country to be rather than the words coming out of any politician's mouth.

Just as I felt in 2008, I feel it is time for a broadening in our political horizon. I was so inspired by Barack Obama, who campaigned with messages of hope and vision rather than fear. I feel the same about what a female president stands for- hope, change, a vision for the future. I want to live in a country where more than white men participate at the highest levels of government. I want that to be true about the world you are coming into. Daddy and I work very hard and we pay a lot of taxes. We are good citizens. We plan for what we can (the funds your grandparents will have access to will be long gone by the time we retire and so we are learning to think differently). The entire world is changing and I feel it's imperative that our leadership change too.

Many (most?) people vote out of fear. They let candidates terrify them through their rhetoric, their grandstanding and their manipulation to win at all costs. I will not vote out of fear. I will vote based on hope and vision. It's the way I can continue to bring kids into the world, the way I accept that our future will inevitably be different than those who came before us, that it truly won't be worse, just different.

Love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment