Sunday, June 14, 2015

6/14/15

Diggaloo,

I'm reading a book about overcoming obstacles and it is really inspiring. I keep reapplying what the author says to work obstacles, pregnancy obstacles, personal relationship obstacles... and it's like the gift that keeps on giving! Really, darling, the message of the book is so true. No one is showing up to make your life (or anything) better. It's up to YOU to do it!

Now that said, you're about to be born to two parents who WILL make your life better. (At least while you're a little one!) You will need us for a long while but we will start peeling off as you grow, giving you more independence and freedom. And then we'll watch you grow your own wings and make mistakes (tons, as we all have!) and we'll count on the way we've raised you and our constant support to help you along the way.

We read a lot in our house and the other day I was reading a book to Noah featuring a scary alligator. He had a concerned look on his face. Finally I said "what could these kids do to be very, very brave in the story?!" and we talked about that for a while. I wanted a scary book to exist in conversation with bravery for him so that he knows that, no matter what, he can dig deep and find courage. Even if an alligator is involved.

A few days back I was pretty over bring pregnant and I was throwing a little pity party. Boo hoo, I thought. I am large and can't sit or stand and at any moment I am going to go through one of the most painful experiences of my life (labor). But then I picked up this book again (it's called The Obstacle is the Way) and I realized that complaining or drowning in the frustration is really a huge waste of energy. I still have my moments but it really helped me to move through the weakness. And no matter when you come, it's not something I control anyway so far better to stop spinning my wheels in self-pity.

There's a whole lot of beautiful life on the other side of labor- for you and for me. And I am very grateful for that.

Love and lots of bravery,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment