Sunday, June 7, 2015

6/7/15

Hi Diggy,

Tonight I ended up down a rabbit hole of google searches that traces my ancestors back to the early 19th century. It was so neat! My parents were really into that genealogy stuff when they were first married and I loved coming across the names of old, old family members. (Like Moses!! Or Heinrich!!) It made me want to jump on a ship to Germany and start tracing down birth records in old churches. Maybe one day... and probably Dadzo will be excused from such a trip. He is not interested in this stuff in the least!

But I really care about where I came from and what the stories were of those who came before me. In a way, this interest feels like a gift I will give to my children too, the knowledge and reflection of who we came from and how they mattered. I'll try to keep some notes in your baby book but maybe we can do some sleuthing around when you get older too.

Love,
Mama

P.S. Tonight at dinner Daddy asked me if I have anyone in my family with June birthdays and I said no. After my research tonight I discovered that my grandma (Pop-pop's mom) was born on June 8! So if you decide to arrive tomorrow, we will be thinking of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment