Monday, June 29, 2015

6/29/15

Dear Little D,

Since your brother is at daycare today I took a walk this morning and am now sitting with a mug of coffee and some inspirational books. (This, in perhaps one scene, describes your mama when she's happiest...)

I've got this workbook open right now; I got it at Oprah's conference in the fall and one of the pages says this:

"Close your eyes. Picture someone you love. See their face. What do you wish for them?"

When I filled it out in November I was thinking of your brother. I wrote a bunch of things, including: "bravery, the ability to be himself, a giant yard, a private airplane, as much cheese as he wants, a puppy, acceptance..."

Oprah's trick was that she told you later that YOU actually want whatever you wished for your loved one but would never have been as generous with yourself. True, especially the part about all that cheese. :)

This morning when I reread this page I thought of you even though I don't actually know your face yet. And while I still wish all these things for you, the one thing that kept coming to mind was the ability to embrace and lean into change.

Daddy and I talked this morning about how it looks like self-driving cars will be here and regular within 10-20 years which means that you may never need a license. Lord knows what else will be different for your world... and since I talk to so many humans, I will tell you that lots and lots of humans don't like change. They HATE it! They cry and resist and get bent out of shape and should pay for therapy but don't so they take it out on their spouses or the amount of cookies they eat or the way they angrily drive cars. 

But! The only consistent thing about life is that everything changes. Everything! So if I could grant you the superpower to embrace and lean into change, I really think it's the only thing you need. 

I am a lit major at heart. I love my paper books and the smell of old paper and generally I love learning about history. But I am eternally grateful for having fallen sideways into the tech industry because it has made me so much more curious and accepting of change. Software changes all the time. So do humans. I love the metaphors that come from this and I am grateful for having married Daddy, who has always been fascinated by what COULD be rather than what WAS. 

Change, buddy. It's the feature that I hope you are born with, the ability to adapt and move with the times, regardless of what's presented to you. There is plenty of space to love where you've come from and also where you're going... and I hope you can see and embrace it all.

Love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment