Monday, June 22, 2015

6/22/15

Heya LD,

I was thinking about my great aunt Jean today for some reason. She was born in Pennsylvania and has German ancestors but she married a Greek-American man and by the time I knew her, she seemed to have grown up in Greece. When we would visit her house she'd have made Greek food for us. Her husband passed away when I was a kid, something that really devastated her. She never seemed to have worked herself back from the grief.

I come from German ancestors too but I've had the experience of living in France and learning to speak the French language. Although it's very rare to have the chance to speak it these days, I do consider myself a teeny bit French. For a while I thought I might marry a Frenchman and raise my kids over there. They have an awesome system for nurseries and daycares and I remember thinking that their society was wonderful for kids to grow up in.

I say all of this because you're going to be born into heritage but you will also have the chance to find your own. It might come through something you study or someone you love. You might find yourself drawn to a city or country for no good reason other than your heart feels bigger when you're there. If this happens, let's talk about it! I would love to sit around the kitchen table and hear about what makes your heart feel big. And then I would love to visit that place because I think it will help me understand you better by just seeing what you love or reading something you love. What I'm saying is, don't be afraid to share what you love with your mama. 

I can't wait to get to know you and discover what you love along the course of your life.

Love,
Your Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment