Sunday, April 19, 2015

4/19/15

Dear Little D,

A year ago today we moved to California and now on this date I find myself again in a plane with Daddy, heading to San Francisco. What a funny coincidence!

Boy, there's a lot to say about moving out here. We didn't ever intend to move to California... we wanted to move to Oregon! But Daddy got a job out here and we talked a lot about it and decided we would have a different adventure than we'd planned.

I'm glad we said yes and decided to come.

You learn a lot about yourself when you are thrown into unexpected scenarios. I've learned that the life I live everyday is fundamentally different than what I needed 5 years ago (a lot of this has to do with becoming a parent). I've learned that I needed to build a home, a place I felt happy to come back to, a place that would fulfill my needs for work AND family since I work from home. I've learned how how to cook more, how to relax on the weekend, how to accept and admire the values of the west coast. 

I've learned what it's like to make a big decision about my life and disappoint family members because of it. I've made peace with this. 

And really, I've learned how to embrace being a parent so much that I finally felt prepared to do it a second time. That's where you come in.

Daddy and I had a wonderful trip to San Diego this weekend. We relaxed, we laughed, we read books and we talked about the future. I know your brother missed us for sure, but it's important for moms and dads to go away sometimes alone. Think of it as a senior leadership retreat in a business. Our family will always be stronger for it, no matter how tough the hours are while we're away. We got some new wind in our sails and are heading back to San Francisco ready to welcome you into our lives.

We'll be waiting for you at home whenever you're ready... and I don't use the word "home" lightly. It's taken a year, but I do feel like it's home for now, where the people I love most in the world are growing together.

Love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment