Tuesday, April 28, 2015

4/28/15

To my darling Diggy,

Well. It was quite the day.

We spent our morning in triage at the hospital where you will be born, leaving your brother with Aunt Kiki. I was having contractions and feeling a lot of pressure and discomfort, so they monitored me for  a while to make sure I wasn't in preterm labor. As we left the house this morning I felt very superstitious, worrying that it might be my last night at home for a while (what if they kept me on bed rest?) or the last few minutes as a family of three. But happily it turns out that you were not meant to come out yet! The tests showed that I am not close to preterm labor, though I will likely keep feeling contractions and sporadic discomfort because of how my uterus works. (They call it irritable uterus! How hilarious!)

You, Diggy, were a master ninja, flipping around and kicking the fetal monitors, revealing your head is down in the ultrasound, moving constantly throughout the past 24 hours, which assured me mentally that you were doing just fine regardless of what else was happening. I'm so very glad you are staying put for now.

Of course Daddy and I have realized what needs to be readied at home PRONTO after this little incident. Nana arrives with your bassinet and your brother's old newborn clothes in a few weeks... It was a funny prospect to imagine you arriving with no clothes and nowhere to sleep! But we can count the days until she gets here for a visit, gear in hand.

I also felt so loved today here in Berkeley. Your aunt jumped right in to watch Noah, I got many supportive texts from friends whose play dates had to get moved because of the shenanigans and one of my best buddies here showed up tonight with a box of teabags and some chocolate. It made us feel secure knowing that we've got community here who will take care of us no matter what.

It is impossible to say anything about a person's personality before they are born... and yet I feel you are gearing up for quite the life, Diggy Diggster. "Hang onto your hats," I feel you saying, "it's going to be an unforgettable life once I arrive!"

Well I believe it!

Love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment