Tuesday, April 21, 2015

4/21/15

Hey Little Diggy,

I'm reading a book right now about two women who graduated college, traveled abroad for a year and then headed west to teach at a one room schoolhouse in Colorado in 1916! I mean, were they ahead of their times or what?!

The year after I graduated college I flew to the middle of France, where I taught English to middle and high school students. This book reminds me so much of the thrill and the anxiety behind that experience... how glad I am that I did it! Especially once you settle into a life routine, what an awesome thing to have lived adventure for a while before settling down. I have all the admiration in the world for these two women I'm reading about, especially since it wasn't seen very well at the time. (They were supposed to be married and having babies big time.)

Sometimes I think about what my post-raising-kids life will look like and it's not too far from my mind to take on a similar adventure once I'm retired. What a thrill to experience another culture, to act as a liaison and cultural representative, to realize how much you love your country by the simple fact that you are far enough away to be homesick for it. 

I'll bring Daddy along too and we can have that adventure together... Then you and your brother can travel to meet us in our little home away from home. Of course we will probably be living on a moon of some planet at this rate, but we'll pack a couple extra oxygen tanks and invite you up for the holidays. :)

Love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment