Saturday, April 4, 2015

4/4/15

Hi little D,

Tomorrow is Easter Sunday! We are hosting brunch for Aunt Kiki and some friends from out of town... and tonight I bought a big Easter egg cake from the grocery store! I can't wait to eat that cake.

Daddy asked me at dinner what my family used to do for Easter while I was growing up. I told him that we usually visited relatives and went to church, did egg hunts, dyed eggs and the like. Much of what we do in our little family mimics what I did growing up... and by next Easter I hope to have a church to go to as well. That's one piece of our community that hasn't come together yet, but I'm hopeful that I'll find a place that feels genuine and supportive of the way I see the world (and how I want to raise my boys too). Daddy is less inclined towards church but maybe he'll tag along every so often. 

You know, one of the most interesting things about becoming a parent is making choices about traditions. There's a sense of pressure behind it because whatever we do, you'll grow up to know as "the way one celebrates Easter" or Christmas or whatever. I hope that you'll remember holidays as times we got together with people we love, celebrated with good food, did some arts and crafts and read books about the holiday we're celebrating. 

And ate cake. I think we can make that a tradition, no matter where we are and who we're with.

Love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment